Monday, October 18, 2010

Toaster Oven With Dehydrator Function

Richard Bona (Cameroon artist-singer): "I am a student of music"


Present in Abidjan for two concerts, the Cameroonian bassist-vocalist Richard Bona, lent itself to questions of journalists. He returns to this interview on Africa, but not least, on his passion: music.

Is this the first time you come in Côte d'Ivoire?


This is my third trip here. The first, dates from 1991. It was with my group.

What was your route before becoming the summit you are today?

I was born in eastern Cameroon. Already a kid, I was typing on everything. My grandfather knew that my passion for music, I was offered a balafon. A traditional instrument. It was my first instrument. Then I played the organ at church. My grandfather and my father were church musicians. Then I went to Paris where I spent five years. It's been 15 years now that I live in the USA, New York. I have six albums. Both Sony and four at Universal. What I have always been informed, that my love and passion for music. Especially learning the music. I also teach music in New York. But I am a student of music. We are all students of music to death. Because I always have a special way to broach the subject: I know I do not know. It always leaves me with a margin always eager to learn, a desire to excel.

The trigger has come from the bass guitar?


is my passion for music that has always lit the flame consuming. I met great aunt of mine that I had not seen in ages. She told me that when I was a kid, she does not remember having seen me one day not be playing. Whenever she saw me, I played music. Over the years, I learned something very important. Excellence comes from repetitive motion. Afterwards, as I am a curious, I went to many groups. I like going to the other, to encounter other cultures. What brought me a lot.

Why did you choose to play bass guitar?


Personally, I had no preference. I always played guitar. Until one day, I came across an album of Jacob Slag. When I heard the sound of the bass guitar, I immediately said, I must play this instrument.


Your father was yet against the fact that you become a musician ...


Yes. But if I were to relive this episode of my life, I will not change that. I had a path strewn with obstacles. The most important thing is to have that''focus.'' But, my luck is that my grandfather was a musician. So he understood me. I think I was not made for anything other than music.

What do you want people to remember your music?


Not much 'thing. I just want that when people listen to me in 30 and 40 years, they have good memories, good times music. That is what is important to me. These are simple moments is neglected, which remain. If people can live these moments with my music, have a little burst of happiness at heart is that my contract is completed.

What makes a great artist you think?

I think I'm in no position to assess the size of a great artist. It is not for me to say whether or not I am tall and able to appreciate what I do. In truth, I do not listen to my music. I made up things I never listen. I sometimes do when I hear that errors. I'm not a good listener to my own music. For cons, I play music every day. I do not go a day without doing so.

Are you involved in the social?

is normal to the social. With revenues of my concerts, I do things. But it's nothing for me. For I must do more. I stopped blaming the government. To say they did not do this or that. Everyday when I wake up, I wonder what I have done? For four to five years already, I ask myself this question. We built in a suburb of Douala, a center for the HIV virus. Each year I ask myself the question what have I done right? And I like to answer this question.

Have you got want to emphasize the song on guitar and vice versa?


is a purely Western, what you say. In my village, when my grandfather and I were in animation, there were only two. We played music and did the singing. We have a global conception of the artist in Africa. Instrument design is not African. We have a concept of entertainment. I can not change my background. I can improve but not change it.


You sing in a language that many people do not understand. What attracts them to you?


There are many things beyond language. I am a musical genre that I particularly. There are people who say it's because they find jazz jazz tunes. The most important thing is the melody. I call my music the Bonatology.

What would you advise young people who want to make a music career?


We do not choose music. It's the music that you choose. My father hit me one day. He took me to the police station where they whipped me for help but to play in nightclubs. That same evening, I went to play. When I came back at 3am, he said there was nothing left for me to do. We do not choose an art.

Do you think African music is going to contact other music to be successful internationally?


The beauty of music does nothing. There are things we do so shy and it works. I fight for more knowledge. This is important. I think it is necessary to listen to what is happening outside. But I'm not saying that if someone stays in Africa, it will not necessarily work. Must broaden its vision.

Interview by Sanou A.

0 comments:

Post a Comment